Ski Martock: Saturdays, January 14 to March 4, 2017: 10am-11:30am. - All levels
Waverley McDonald Sport Park when adequate natural snow coverage permits:
- Bunnyrabbit /Jackrabbit/Track Attack program (ages 4-13yrs) Saturdays, January 14 to March 4, 2017: 9:30-11am
Youth Program Levels
Our Youth Ski programs place an emphasis on learning to ski through group games and activities, mixed with technique instruction. They are great ways for kids to build ski skills, fitness, and friendships. Programs are aligned with Cross Country Canada’s Long Term Athlete Development Model, or LTAD:
- Bunnyrabbits (4-5yrs, registered as Bunnyrabbits/Jackrabbits),
- Jackrabbits (5-9yrs),
- Track Attack (10-13yrs), and
- Trailblazers (14-16yrs) - recommended for both those who have moved through the Jackrabbit/Track Attack programs, as well as newcomers to the sport (entry at age 14-16yrs). Although learning to train for fitness and local racing is a focus, Trailblazers welcomes everyone who likes to ski and have fun with similar aged peers - including non-racers and those who want to learn Biathlon, and therefore need to learn to skate ski.
- Junior Racers (over 13yrs) - skiers who have progressed through Track Attack and want to ski stronger and faster and start racing.
What is a skill development program, or SDP?
These programs are all skill development programs (SDP) with a focus on recreation and introduction to racing, for those who are interested in racing. Created by Cross Country Canada, they are taught and delivered by experienced, trained, local volunteer coaches, through the Martock Nordic Ski Club.
Where will these programs take place?
Ski Martock is the primary location. The Martock trails were the 2011 Canada Winter Games site. All of the Martock program skiers will benefit from the opportunity to ski on these national calibre trails with state of the art snowmaking and grooming. A technical building/clubhouse is located in the Stadium area, where all classes begin and end.
McDonald Sport Park: Closer to HRM, the Club offers lessons on the Brian Scallion Trails and fields of the McDonald Sport Park in Waverley. Trails are groomed when natural snow conditions permit. Programs at McDonald Sport Park are dependent on adequate natural snow. Instructors will notify parents the night before, if lessons will be cancelled. Lessons may be offered at another location when feasible. Portable toilets are available on-site, but there are no indoor facilities. Parents of young children (<10yrs) are asked to be available nearby throughout the lessons.
What is the cost?
- Bunnyrabbits and Jackrabbits - $50 at Martock ($70 after Dec. 11); $30 at McDonald Sport Park ($40 after Dec. 11)
- Track Attack, Trailblazers, Junior Racers - $80 at Martock ($100 after Dec. 11); $50 at McDonald Sport Park ($70 after Dec. 11)
Includes materials and swag from Cross Country Canada.
Participants in programs at Martock must have a Ski Martock season or day-pass. A season pass gives you access to both the nordic trails (snow-making equipment guarantees trails for all lessons) and the downhill slopes. Purchase a discounted season pass at the same time as you purchase your Club membership: $120+HST rate available until Dec. 12. Show your MNSC Zone4 Online Registration Receipt showing purchase of a Season Pass, to firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person at their lodge.
Parents are encouraged to get involved, through helping out with groups on snow, volunteering for events, or even signing up for one of our Adult Ski or Biathlon programs. Indicate how you would like to help on your registration form.
REGISTER NOW for all Programs - Prices will increase after Dec. 11, 2016.
You must become a Club member in order to register for programs.
Refund Policy: full refund possible before second lesson.