Saturdays at Ski Martock, January 14 - March 4 – 12:30pm-2pm (after the morning 10am-11:30am ski lessons)
Biathlon Bears is for youth ages 8-14 and is a great introduction to Biathlon. The program includes a focus of instruction in: rifle shooting techniques, range safety and rifle management, and introduction to combination shooting. Practice on Martock's Canada Winter Games trails and Martock's Biathlon rifle range. Youth in Biathlon Bears will also participate in a Youth Ski Program Saturday mornings from 10-11:30am: choose Jackrabbits (8&9 yrs), Track Attack (10-13yrs), Trailblazers(14+), or Junior Racers (experienced skiers 14+). Biathlon Bears coaches can then focus on shooting in the afternoon Biathlon Bears program. An overall recipe for success!
The cost of the program package for ski/biathlon includes the morning Youth Ski Program.
- Jackrabbits(8-9yrs): $120 ($135 after Dec 11th)
- Track Attack or Trailblazers or Junior Racers (10-14yrs) :$150 ($170 after Dec 11th)
First step: Join Biathlon Canada- Biathlon participants must be a Biathlon Canada Member - this is an insurance requirement. Membership for recreational athletes in Nova Scotia is $10. If you wish to compete in non-club races, the cost increases. Tip: if you use zone4's "quick-list" option you won't need to re-enter all your personal information, when you register for our programs.
Second step: REGISTER for MNSC - Prices will increase after Dec. 11, 2017.
You must become a Club member in order to register for programs.
Refund Policy: full refund possible before second lesson.
Youth Biathlon Program Outline
- Week 1: Rifle and range safety including the 4 ACTS and how to PROVE a rifle is safe. We should also be able to get everyone firing a few rounds by the end of the session
- Week 2: Entering and leaving the range, shooting when your heart rate is up, and being mentally prepared. We will be skiing and shooting.
- Week 3: Sight picture, body position, how to zero a rifle, fun, shooting games
- Week 4: Competition (Biathlon Atlantic Cup) exact date tba
- Week 5: Shooting standing, position, breathing, entering and exiting the range.
- Week 6: Open lessons for Nordic Fest (exact date tba
- Week 7: Simulated Race - informal within lesson groups
- Week 8: Final Session - review of the past sessions and enjoying some skiing and shooting activities.
Please direct questions to: Biathlon Director Pam Tracz: pamtracz[at]gmail.com